Officers with the Brantford Police Service were dispatched to a Sympatica Crescent residence after receiving a report of a drive-by shooting where a man had been injured at approximately 9:30 p.m. on Sunday, August 27, 2023.
Officers attended the scene where one male victim with a gunshot wound to his leg was located. It was reported to police that the injuries were the result of a drive-by shooting. Suspect information was provided to police.
The male was assessed by attending paramedics before being transported to hospital for treatment of non-life-threatening injuries.
Through investigation, it was determined that the report of a drive-by shooting was falsely provided to police and did not occur. The gunshot wound appeared to be self-inflicted.
The accused was found to be in possession of a complete firearm, seven 3-D printed firearm receivers – one with a tampered serial number, a bag of components used for manufacturing additional firearms, ammunition, two prohibited magazines and a large quantity of suspected fentanyl.
Additional information received by police indicated that the accused was in violation of a valid court order.
As a result of this investigation, a 21-year-old male non-resident of Brantford stands charged with the following Criminal Code and CDSA offences:
- Careless Use of Firearm, Weapon, Ammunition
- Careless Storage of a Firearm x 8
- Unauthorized Possession of Firearm x 8
- Unauthorized Possession of Firearm – Device x 2
- Knowledge of Unauthorized Possession of Firearm x 8
- Possession of Prohibited or Restricted Firearm x 8
- Weapon or Firearm: Manufacture x 8
- Failure to Report Finding Firearm, Weapon, Device or Ammunition
- Tampering with Serial Number of Firearm
- Public Mischief
- Possession for the Purpose – Schedule 1 – Fentanyl
The accused was held for bail.