The province’s Special Investigations Unit is investigating the circumstances surrounding the police-involved shooting of a 27-year-old man in the County of Brant on Monday, May 29, 2023.
Preliminary information suggests the following:
- Shortly after 4 p.m. on May 29, 2023, Brantford Police Service officers attended the area of Scenic Ridge Gate in Brant to make an arrest.
- There was an interaction, and one officer discharged his firearm at a man who was in a vehicle.
- The man fled in the vehicle.
- A short time later, in the area of St. George Street and Belaire Road in Brantford, the man was located.
- He was taken to hospital for treatment of an injury resulting from being shot by the officer.
Four investigators and two forensic investigators have been assigned to the case. At this time, one subject official and seven witness officials have been designated.
The SIU is urging anyone who may have information about this investigation, including video or photos, to contact the lead investigator at 1-800-787-8529 or online at: https://siu.on.ca/en/appeals.php
As required by law, Brantford Police Service notified the province’s Special Investigation Unit (SIU) which has invoked its mandate. As such, Brantford Police Service will be unable to provide further information or comment related to the incident.
Police will remain at locations in Paris and Brantford locations throughout the evening. Motorists and pedestrians are asked to use alternate routes and avoid the area if possible.