Officers with the Brantford Police Service were dispatched after receiving a report of a man who had appeared to have passed out in the backseat of a taxi at a Lynden Road location at approximately 4:45 a.m. on Sunday, February 12, 2023.
Officers attended, and when attempting to wake the man, observed signs of intoxication. Investigation determined the accused was in violation of a valid release order.
The accused was placed under arrest for breach of his release order. Search incident to arrest located a concealed, loaded firearm (revolver style handgun) in his possession. Additional ammunition, approximately 0.4 grams of suspected crystal methamphetamine, and identification belonging to another person was also located, concealed on his person.
As a result of the investigation, a 34-year-old man from North York, stands charged with the following Criminal Code violations:
- Handle Firearm or Restricted Weapon
- Possession of Weapon for a Dangerous Purpose
- Carrying Concealed Weapon
- Unauthorized Possession of Firearm
- Possession of Firearm Knowing it’s Possession is Unauthorized
- Unauthorized Possession in Motor Vehicle
- Possession of Prohibited or Restricted Firearm with Ammunition
- Firearm or Weapon: Possession Contrary to Order
- Fail to Comply with Judicial Release/Non-Comm Order – Release Order
- Possession of an Identity Document, and
- Possession of Schedule I – Other Drugs, Section 4(1), contrary to the Controlled Drugs & Substances Act
The accused was held for bail.