On Sunday, October 17, 2021, at approximately 2:00 p.m., officers with the Brantford Police Service were dispatched to attend a firearm related call for service.
Officers were advised that a restricted firearm was located (unloaded) in the personal property of one of the players during a football game held at the Bison’s Alumni / North Park Sports Complex located at North Park Street.
Officers attended the location. The firearm and cartridge magazine, both restricted items, were turned over to police custody. At this time, officers observed the serial number of the firearm had been tampered with and was no longer legible.
Additionally, the accused was found to be in violation of a valid release order.
As a result of this investigation, Branden MCCRANEY, 23, of Windsor, stands charged with the following Criminal Code violations:
- Careless use, storage, handling, and transport of firearm x 2
- Carrying a weapon while attending public meeting x 2
- Carry concealed weapon x 2
- Unauthorized possession of firearm
- Unauthorized possession of prohibited device
- Possession of firearm knowing it is unauthorized
- Possession of prohibited device knowing it is unauthorized
- Tampering with serial number
- Failure to comply with Judicial Release Order
The accused was held for bail.