On Sunday, March 5, 2023, at approximately 12:15 a.m., a report was received to advise of a dispute within a bar located on Colborne Street East near Kiwanis Way. Two individuals were reported to be intoxicated and the dispute is alleged to have occurred when they were denied service and asked to leave.
Officers arrived on scene and located the two accused within a motor vehicle. The accused attempted to drive away and were stopped by police.
Officers observed signs of impairment when speaking with the driver, who was subsequently arrested for impaired operation.
The driver refused to provide samples of his breath, as required by law.
As a result, a 27-year-old man from Niagara Falls, New York, stands charged with the following:
- Operation While Impaired – Alcohol and Drugs, contrary to the Criminal Code
- Failure or Refusal to Comply with Demand, contrary to the Criminal Code
The occupant of the vehicle is alleged to have assaulted an employee of the establishment during the dispute and was also placed under arrest.
As the accused was being escorted to the police cruiser, she became assaultive with the officer.
As a result, a 40-year-old female from Niagara Falls, New York, stands charged with the following:
- Assault, contrary to the Criminal Code
- Assault a Peace Officer, contrary to the Criminal Code
- Resist Arrest, contrary to the Criminal Code, and
- Being Intoxicated in a Public Place, contrary to the Liquor Licence and Control Act
Both accused were held for bail as they are not residents of Canada. The vehicle was impounded.