An increase in reports received Saturday, October 28, 2023, to advise of vehicle break and enters in the area of Davidson Court and Thomas Avenue have prompted the Brantford Police Service to issue an important reminder for residents to ensure vehicles are locked when unattended.
Reports received indicate various items such as clothing and money had been reported stolen from vehicles. Additionally, thieves caused significant damage to the vehicles in the process.
At this time, the Brantford Police Service would like to remind residents that an unlocked vehicle can be an easy target. There are preventive steps that you can take to help protect yourself:
- Take a few extra seconds to secure your vehicle
- Never leave valuables or cash in the vehicle
- Store items in your trunk or take them inside with you
- Park your vehicle in a garage or in a well-lit, highly visible area
- Purchase and utilize a faraday box or pouch to protect against relay and reprogramming vehicle theft
- Make copies of important vehicle documentation i.e., insurance slips/ownership
- Report suspicious activity. If you notice suspicious people or behaviours around parked vehicles, call police.
If you do find yourself the victim of theft of items from your vehicle, be sure to file a report with police. If you observe suspicious people in your neighborhood, looking into vehicles, we encourage you to report this to police immediately. When these crimes are reported, it helps to identify areas that may be frequently targeted and enables officers to increase proactive patrols.
To file a report, call the station at 519-756-0113 and speak with an officer or, you can report the occurrence online at: https://www.brantfordpolice.ca/online-reporting A crime in-progress can be reported by calling 9-1-1
This reminder is even more important as we approach the holiday season. Please take necessary precautions to combat this type of theft. Together, we can create a safer community.