Patrol officers with the Brantford Police Service observed a vehicle travelling at a very high rate of speed within a construction zone on King George Road near Powerline Road at approximately 2:00 a.m. on Saturday, August 26, 2023.
The vehicle registered a speed of 116 km/hr in a posted 60 km/hr zone. The area was a signed construction zone, with workers present at the time of the incident.
A traffic stop was conducted. Speaking with the driver, officers observed signs of impairment. An open container of alcohol was observed within reach of the driver.
Additionally, the accused was unable to provide proof of valid insurance and a valid vehicle permit.
Roadside breath testing was conducted, which the accused failed.
The accused was subsequently arrested and transported to provide samples of breath as required by law. Both samples provided were over the legal limit.
As a result of the investigation, a 30-year-old female, non-resident of Brantford, stands charged with the following:
- Operation while Impaired – Blood Alcohol Concentration, contrary to the Criminal Code
- Speeding 116km/h in a 60km/h Zone – Construction Zone – Worker Present, contrary to the Highway Traffic Act
- Drive Motor Vehicle – Perform Stunt – Speeding By 40 Or More km/h In a Zone Less Than 80km/h, contrary to the Highway Traffic Act
- Driving Motor Vehicle with Liquor Readily Available, contrary to the Liquor Licence and Control Act
- Fail to Surrender Insurance Card, contrary to the Compulsory Automobile Insurance Act
- Fail to Surrender Permit for Motor Vehicle, contrary to the Highway Traffic Act
Additionally, the vehicle was impounded, and the licence of the driver was suspended.