Officers with the Brantford Police Service were dispatched to attend a suspicious vehicle call in the area of Edith Monture Avenue and Flanders Drive at approximately 7:00 a.m. on Thursday, August 3, 2023.
A concerned citizen called 911 to report a man slumped over in the driver’s seat of the vehicle.
Officers attended and located the occupied vehicle. The man was initially unresponsive, displaying signs of impairment, and an open bottle of liquor was observed in the front seat.
The accused was arrested for impaired operation. During the arrest, the accused assaulted the arresting police officer, kicking both the officer and the door of the police cruiser in an attempt to resist arrest.
The accused was then transported to provide additional samples of breath as required by law. Both samples provided were over twice the legal limit.
Additionally, the accused is alleged to have presented a forged copy of a driver’s licence to officers.
As a result, the vehicle was impounded and a 21-year-old male resident of Brantford, stands charged with the following:
- Operation while impaired, contrary to the Criminal Code
- Operation while impaired – Blood Alcohol Concentration, contrary to the Criminal Code
- Assault a police officer, contrary to the Criminal Code
- Assault with intent to resist arrest, contrary to the Criminal Code
- Utter forged document, contrary to the Criminal Code
- Having care or control of a motor vehicle with open container of liquor, contrary to the Liquor Licence Control Act