The Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) Haldimand and Brant County Detachments, OPP Tactics and Rescue Unit, OPP Emergency Response Team and York Regional Police Aviation Services were called to assist the Six Nations Police Service after its officers came under weapons-fire on Chiefswood Road between Fifth Line and Sixth Line in the Ohsweken-Six Nations of the Grand River at approximately 11:30 p.m. on Tuesday, October 31, 2023.
The barricaded individual continued to discharge a firearm at police officers overnight. The incident was resolved shortly before 9:30 a.m. on Wednesday, November 1, 2023.
Police have charged 40-year-old Matthew Dane PORTER of Ohsweken, Ontario with the following Criminal Code offences:
- Attempted Murder Using a Firearm – section 239 (1) (a.1) (two counts),
- Use Firearm while committing offence – section 85 (1)(a),
- Careless Use of Firearm – section 86 (1),
- Firearm Regulations – section 86 (2),
- Pointing Firearm – section 87, (two counts),
- Possession of Weapon for Dangerous Purpose – section 88 (three counts),
- Unauthorized Possession of Firearm – section 91 (two counts),
- Knowledge of Unauthorized Possession – section 92 (1) (two counts), and
- Utter Threats to Cause Death or Bodily Harm – section 264.1 (1)(a).
The accused is scheduled to appear in the Ontario Court of Justice located in the City of Brantford on November 3, 2023.
As a result of this interaction, the OPP has notified the province’s Special Investigations Unit (SIU), which has invoked its mandate. As a result, the OPP will not be able to provide further information. Any other inquiries should be directed to SIU Communications at (416) 622-2342.