20 C
Monday, March 4, 2024

Take a Shot program providing barrier-free hockey lessons

Twenty-five children geared up and made their...

Brant-Brantford paramedics donate ambulance to Nigerian hospital

Brant-Brantford Paramedic Services announced the donation of...

Brantford releases plan to increase affordable housing units in Lucy Marco Place

City of BrantfordBrantford releases plan to increase affordable housing units in Lucy Marco Place

The City of Brantford and the County of Brant are implementing new strategies to increase affordable housing inventory across both municipalities.

As of June 30, 2022, the total Rent Geared to Income (RGI) waitlist in Brantford and the County of Brant was 1,445 households.

Of this waitlist, there are 1,404 households waiting for units in the City of Brantford of which 511 (37%) are either singles or couples and an additional 417 (30%) are seniors. These two groups combined comprise 67% of waitlist applications and are the primary demographic of households waiting for a bachelor or one bedroom unit. 

Consistent with their strategic plan, Laurier Brantford is in the process of implementing a growth plan to expand and restructure some of their existing space and as such Lucy Marco Place is no longer required for residence purposes.

In July 2022, Brantford City Council directed staff to purchase the building at 36- 40 Queen Street, funded from the issuance of growth-related debentures and from the City’s Affordable Housing Reserve.

The purchase was completed on October 31, 2022 and the building will be used to house individuals on the affordable housing waitlist. This housing is not intended to be an Emergency Shelter, but rather more permanent and stable housing with supports.

At their Social Services meeting held December 7, 2022 the Committee endorsed a staff recommendation that will see Lucy Marco Place operating in partnership with three community agencies, including Community Living Brant, Nova Vita, and St. Leonard’s Community Services Inc. The endorsed renovation plan will include a mix of predominantly one-bedroom units with a few two or three bedroom units; more specifically 50-plus self-contained one-bedroom units that will meet the needs of the two primary demographics of households/ individuals currently on the affordable housing waiting list.

This retrofit project provides for economical savings, re-use of current infrastructure, shortened time-lines for project completion and tenant occupancy, which is expected to occur before the end of the 2023 calendar year.

Check out our other content

Most Popular Articles