A concerned citizen contacted the Brantford Police Service to report a possible impaired driver in the area of West Street and Fairview Drive at approximately 2:40 a.m. on Sunday, February 13, 2022.
The vehicle was observed to have driven onto the sidewalk, striking a mailbox. Police attended the area, located the accused, and attempted to conduct a traffic stop.
The accused failed to stop for police as required, continuing to drive erratically, striking the centre median at the intersection of West Street and Galileo Boulevard before colliding with a traffic light standard at the same intersection, where the vehicle came to rest.
At 2:45 a.m., the accused was arrested for Impaired Operation and transported to provide samples of breath as required by law.
The accused was uncooperative with police and actively attempted to leave the testing room.
Additionally, on the date of the offence, the accused did not have consent from the registered owner to have possession of the vehicle and was determined to be in violation of two separate driving suspensions.
As a result, a 26-year-old man from Brantford, stands charged with the following:
- Take Motor Vehicle Without Consent contrary to the Criminal Code
- Operation While Impaired – Blood Alcohol Concentration, contrary to the Criminal Code
- Failure – Refusal to Comply with Demand, contrary to the Criminal Code
- Dangerous Operation – motor vehicle contrary to the Criminal Code
- Flight from Peace Officer contrary to the Criminal Code
- Drive while under Suspension x 2, contrary to the Highway Traffic Act
A driver’s licence suspension was issued, and the vehicle impounded as per law.