On Sunday, November 21, 2021, at approximately 4:50 p.m., officers with the Brantford Police were dispatched in regards to a report of a suspicious man in the area of the Woodland Cultural Centre on Mohawk Street.
Multiple witnesses reported they observed a man carrying a chain damaging the memorial located on the front steps of the former residential school.
Police arrived on scene and located a lone man, matching the description provided by the witnesses. The man was located near broken glass and several other items which appeared to have been disturbed from the memorial.
Information received indicated that the man provided a false name to police and was in violation of a valid release order as well as a valid probation order.
Search incident to arrest revealed the man was in possession of a knife, which was attached to the long chain he was observed with.
As a result of the investigation, a 35-year-old man from Brantford stands charged with the following:
- Mischief Under $5,000 contrary to the Criminal Code
- Failure to Comply with an Undertaking contrary to the Criminal Code
- Breach of a Probation Order contrary to the Criminal Code
- Obstruct a Police Officer contrary to the Criminal Code
- Engage in a Prohibited Activity on Premises contrary to the Trespass to Property Act