On Wednesday, December 29, 2021, at approximately 8:30 p.m., patrol officers with the Brantford Police Service observed a motor vehicle with a visibly altered license plate in the drive-thru of a restaurant located on Wayne Gretzky Parkway near Edmondson Drive.
Upon observing police, the vehicle abandoned its position in the drive-thru line up and proceeded to merge onto eastbound Highway 403. In the interest of public safety, the officers did not initiate in a pursuit. The vehicle exited the highway at Fairview Drive, where the driver lost control and crashed.
The driver and a female passenger, attempted to flee the scene on foot. Officers initiated a foot pursuit, the accused was located and subsequently placed under arrest. The K9 unit was called in to assist in locating the female passenger.
No physical injuries were sustained as a result of the collision.
Search incident to arrest located identification documents not belonging to the accused.
Information received indicated that the motor vehicle had previously been reported as stolen. Both licence plates on the vehicle had been manually altered.
The accused was found to be a prohibited driver and was in violation of a valid driving suspension.
As a result of this investigation, Dwain Edward CHASSE, 45, of Brantford, stands charged with the following:
• Obstruct peace officer contrary to the Criminal Code
• Possession of an identity document x 2 contrary to the Criminal Code
• Possession property over $5000 contrary to the Criminal Code
• Operation of a conveyance while prohibited x 4 contrary to the Criminal Code
• Careless driving contrary to the Highway Traffic Act
• Fail to remain Highway Traffic Act
• Alter plate Highway Traffic Act
The accused was held for bail.