The Brantford Fire Department will be hosting a series of events to promote this year’s Fire Prevention Week campaign, Fire won’t wait. Plan your escape. from October 9-15, 2022.
The campaign aims to educate the public about the small, but important actions they can take to keep themselves and those around them safe from home fires.
“It’s important for everyone to plan and practice a home fire escape so that everyone know what to do when the smoke alarm sounds,” said Brantford Fire Chief, Todd Binkley. “Since every home is different, each home escape plan will also be different. Be sure to have a plan for everyone in the home as children, older adults, and people with disabilities may need assistance to wake up and get out.”
The Brantford Fire Department is hosting a series of events in support of this year’s Fire Prevention Week campaign, Fire won’t wait. Plan your escape., including a number of displays with educational information and a chance to see a fire truck on the following dates:
- Sunday, October 9 at The Home Depot, located at 25 Holiday Drive, Brantford from 10:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. and at Brantwood Farms, located at 251 Powerline Road, Brantford, from 10:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
- Tuesday, October 11 at Lowes, located at 215 Henry Street, Brantford, from 10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. and at Kidtastic Adventures, located at 603 Colborne Street, Brantford, from 4:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m.
- Wednesday, October 12 at Lynden Park Mall, located at 84 Lynden Road, Brantford, from 10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. and at Elements Casino, located at 40 Icomm Drive, Brantford, from 4:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m.
- Thursday, October 13 at Walmart, located at 300 King George Rd, Brantford from 12:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m. and at Wayne Gretzky Sports Centre, located at 254 North Park Street, Brantford, from 4:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m.
- Friday, October 14 at the Brantford Public Library, located at 173 Colborne Street, Brantford, from 10:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.
To celebrate the end of Fire Prevention Week, an Open House will be taking place at Fire Station #2, located at 21 Fairview Drive, Brantford on Saturday, October 15, 2022 from 10:00 a.m. until 2:00 p.m. including bucket rides in an aerial ladder truck for a $20 donation in support of Food4Kids Brant-Haldimand. Spaces are limited for the rides and can be booked online in advance at Brantford.ca/FirePreventionWeek.
The Brantford Fire Department encourages all residents to consider the following home fire escape planning tips:
- Make sure your plan meets the needs of all your family members, including those with sensory or physical disabilities.
- Smoke alarms should be installed inside every sleeping room, outside each separate sleeping area, and on every level of your home. Smoke alarms should be interconnected so when one sounds, they all sound.
- Know at least two ways out of every room, if possible. Make sure all doors and windows open easily.
- Have an outside meeting place a safe distance from your home where everyone should meet.
- Practice your home fire drill at least twice a year with everyone in the household, including guests. Practice at least once during the day and at night.
To find out more about Fire Prevention Week programs and activities in Brantford, please contact the Brantford Fire Department at 519-752-4346 or email firstname.lastname@example.org and follow Brantford Fire on social media. For more general information about Fire Prevention Week and home escape planning, visit Brantford.ca/FirePreventionWeek or www.fpw.org.