In 2021 Brantford City Council approved a staff recommendation to extend the Security Pilot Project for the expansion of security guard services until January 31, 2022, in the City’s downtown core and other City assets including our housing developments.
Since the program launched in January 2021, the Corporate Security Guard (CSG) team has adapted services to respond to ongoing incident trends, address specific City properties and areas, and develop post orders to support the effective ongoing delivery of security guard services.
The City shared the latest robotic addition to the security team – a Gridless Sentry Verkada Security Camera Trailer operated by solar energy on July 21. Deployed initially at the Brantford Airport, the Artificial Intelligence (AI)-Driven cloud connected device features up to 6 cameras that can run on a reliable battery for up to 2 weeks of runtime with no sun. It is also very mobile and will be deployed to various City owned locations throughout the city. Self powered and simple to use at multiple locations with no infrastructure, power lines or wires required, the equipment can also be used to monitor job progress on the City’s various construction sites.
In response to inquiries related to how this device will be used specifically, please be advised that:
- The cameras will only be used to monitor City owned properties
- This trailer provides capacity for the City to deploy cameras to various properties where installation of cameras or deployment of physical security personnel may not be practical or cost-effective
- Camera angles and views are customized to each site and privacy masks are applied to any areas that extend beyond the City’s property, blocking these areas in recorded or live video feeds. Privacy masking is a feature which is used to protect personal privacy by concealing from view and preventing recording of the masked area.
- Access to video is exclusively restricted to authorized Staff and the City’s Corporate Security team.
- The deployment of the security CCTV trailer system complies with the City’s municipal by-law regarding acceptable uses of security cameras.
- The deployment of the security CCTV trailer system is in no way intended to discourage peaceful and lawful protest and is intended solely to protect City-owned properties from unlawful activities.
Members of the public are welcome to forward any additional questions to firstname.lastname@example.org.