In June 2022, members of Brant County Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) Community Street Crimes Unit (CSCU) partnered with Brantford Police Service in Project CHALLENGER, a Controlled Drug and Substances Act (CDSA) investigation.
On August 11, 2022, Brant OPP CSCU with the assistance of the OPP West Region Tactics and Rescue Unit, OPP Central Region Tactics and Rescue Unit, OPP West Region Emergency Response Team, OPP West Region Canine Unit, Provincial Liaison Team, West Region CSCU teams and uniformed members of Brant OPP detachment, executed three search warrants at a property on Jenkins Road in Scotland, County of Brant.
A total of 23 firearms were seized as well as three cross bows, three compound bows, and thousands of rounds of ammunition. Police also seized Canadian currency, quantities of CDSA, three pickup trucks, three trailers, tools, gardening equipment and miscellaneous construction equipment. Some of the property was confirmed to be from recent break and enter incidents from the County of Brant. The estimated value of all seized items is in excess of $100,000.
Steven Cody SAULT, 32-years-of-age from the County of Brant has been charged with the following offences:
· Possession of a Schedule I substance for the purpose of Trafficking – Cocaine,
· Possession Property Obtained by Crime Over $5,000 – three counts,
· Possession of a Schedule I Substance – Opioid (other than heroin),
· Unauthorized possession of a firearm,
· Careless storage of Firearm, Weapon, Prohibited device or ammunition and
· Unauthorized possession of a weapon.
The accused is scheduled to appear in the Ontario Court of Justice located in Brantford at a later date. Police are continuing to investigate and anticipate further charges surrounding this investigation.