The Brant County Health Unit has issued a Cold Weather Alert for Brant.
Everyone is at risk during very cold weather. In temperatures of -15C or colder, unprotected skin can freeze in less than 30 minutes and the risk of developing hypothermia is high.
- Wear several layers of clothing and make sure the outer layer protects you from both wind and wetness.
- Cover exposed skin using hats, scarves, neck warmers, mittens, and/or face masks.
- Wear waterproof winter boots with an extra layer of socks.
- Drink warm, caffeine- and alcohol-free fluids to prevent dehydration.
- Check on elderly and vulnerable people frequently, to ensure they are safe and warm.
For more tips on how to stay safe during cold weather visit: www.bchu.org/coldalert.