Officers with the Brantford Police Service observed a vehicle travelling at an excessively high rate of speed and in an erratic manner in the area of Wayne Gretzky Parkway and Dunsdon Street at approximately 11:15 p.m. on Monday, February 14.
A traffic stop was conducted, and officers observed signs of impairment when speaking with the driver.
The accused was arrested for Impaired Operation and transported to provide samples of his breath as required by law. Both samples provided were over the legal limit.
Search incident to arrest located approximately 45.72 grams of cannabis (suspected) within the vehicle which was not in its original packaging as required by law.
Information received, indicated that the accused was a prohibited driver, in violation of two licence suspensions.
As a result, a 41-year-old man from Brantford, stands charged with the following:
- Impaired Operation, contrary to the Criminal Code
- 80 plus, contrary to the Criminal Code
- Drive while under suspension x 2, contrary to the Highway Traffic Act
- Have care or control of a vehicle with cannabis and open original packaging contrary to the Cannabis Control Act
- Speeding 110 km/h in a post to 70 km hour zone contrary to the Highway Traffic Act
- Drive motor vehicle – perform stunt (speeding by 40 or more kilometres per hour in a zone that is less than 80 km/h) contrary to the Highway Traffic Act
As a result, the accused driver’s license of the accused was suspended for 90-days, and the vehicle impounded for fourteen days.