The Brantford Fire Department is teaming up with the National Fire Protection Association® (NFPA®), the official sponsor of Fire Prevention Week for more than 100 years, to promote this year’s Fire Prevention Week campaign, which runs from October 8 to 14, 2023.
The theme of this year’s campaign is: “Cooking safety starts with you. Pay attention to fire prevention.” The campaign aims to educate the public about the small, but important actions they can take when cooking to keep themselves and those around them safe.
“Year after year, cooking remains a leading cause of home fires by far, accounting for the majority of home fires in Brantford and across Ontario,” said Fire Chief Todd Binkley, Brantford Fire Department. “These numbers tell us that there is still work to do when it comes to better educating the public about ways to stay safe when cooking.”
The Brantford Fire Department encourages all residents to embrace the 2023 Fire Prevention Week theme and offers these key safety tips to help reduce the risk of a cooking fire:
- Watch what you heat. Always keep a close eye on what you are cooking. Set a timer to remind you that you are cooking.
- Turn pot handles toward the back of the stove. Always keep a lid nearby when cooking. If a small grease fire starts, slide the lid over the pan and turn off the burner.
- Have a “kid-and-pet-free-zone” of, at least, one metre around the stove or grill and anywhere else hot food or drink is prepared or carried.
The Brantford Fire Department is hosting a series of events in support of Fire Prevention Week, including a number of displays with educational information and a chance to see a fire truck on the following dates:
- Sunday, October 8 at Brantwood Farms, located at 251 Powerline Road, Brantford, from 10:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
- Tuesday, October 10 at Kidtastic Adventures, located at 603 Colborne Street, Brantford, from 4:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m.
- Wednesday, October 11 at Echo Bowl, located at 760 Colborne Street, Brantford, from 5:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m.
- Thursday, October 12 at Wayne Gretzky Sports Centre, located at 254 North Park Street, Brantford, from 4:30 p.m. to 9:00 p.m.
- Friday, October 13 at the Brantford Bulldogs Home Game, located at 79 Market Street South, Brantford, from 6:00pm to 9:00 p.m.
To celebrate the end of Fire Prevention Week, Brantford Fire will be hosting an Open House at Fire Station #2, located at 21 Fairview Drive, on Saturday, October 14, 2022 from 10:00 a.m. until 2:00 p.m. The event will include a variety of family-friendly activities, fire truck tours, the Junior Firefighter Challenge and a free barbeque from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m., while quantities last. Bucket rides in an aerial ladder truck are also available for a $25 donation in support of Brant Food For Thought. Spaces are limited for the bucket rides and must be booked online in advance at Brantford.ca/FirePreventionWeek.